About Camp Harmony
Camp Harmony is located on an elevated point at the junction of the Restigouche and the Upsalquitch Rivers. Dean Sage named the site Harmony after Julia Harmony Twichell, the wife of his good friend and fishing companion, Rev. Joseph Twichell, a clergyman from Hartford, Connecticut.
Sage built the first camp on the Harmony site in 1879, it was a three-room building with birch-bark partitions between the walls. While hardly luxurious, it was a major improvement over living in tents.
Stanford White designed the new Camp as a sprawling log building with a very large octagonal living room-dining room surmounted by a peaked roof. This became the central point from which the two bedroom wings radiated, one overlooking the Restigouche River, the other the Upsalquitch. The whole being surrounded by a comfortable porch affording magnificent views up and down both rivers.
All of the golden oak furniture was shipped to Matapedia and hauled up river by scow. Except for the addition of electric light and more comfortable easy chairs and sofas, as well as bathrooms, the Camp remains exactly as it was in 1896 and a concerted effort has been made to keep it so.
White was one of the designers of Grand Central Station and Madison Square Gardens in New York. He was an avid fly fisherman and a regular visitor to the Restigouche River, leaving the mark of his design genius on a number of lodges along the river. These lodges bear the distinctive "shingle style" design, which is associated with large mansions on the eastern seaboard.
In 1906, White had just returned to New York from a Restigouche fishing trip, when he was shot three times and killed in full view of New York's high society by Henry K. Thaw, a jealous husband. White had enjoyed a long time relationship with Thaw's wife, actress Evelyn Nesbitt. A 1955 film, "The Girl in the Red Velvet Swing", tells the story of White and Nesbitt's affair.